Monday, January 11, 2010

Why am I running a marathon?

I'm 56 pages into my book and am in the middle of the chapter where the writer talks about runners' motivations and why they decided to run their first marathon. So I've started thinking about why I want to do it.

The only answer I really have is that I've now done a few half marathons and a 30K so the full marathon just seems like the next logical goal. For each race I've run that's a longer distance than I've ever done before, I've loved the feeling of crossing the finish line and having a new accomplishment under my belt. And I know that finishing a half marathon or a 10K is every bit as big an accomplishment, but I think I just need to take the next step.

This race is going to take far more commitment and training than anything I've ever done before and maybe that's part of the reason I'm doing it. I've been slacking off with my running for the past few months and have been disappointed with myself as a result (part of the reason I started running was for weight loss/maintenance and I'm worried that if I slack off too much, the pounds are going to start to come back on). I haven't pushed myself too hard to get back to it because I've only been doing "shorter" races (funny that I now call a half marathon a shorter race) and am finding that I can do them even without the proper training. I know I can't run 42.2 kilometres without training properly. I don't expect a fantastic time for my first one but I'd like to finish it within the allowed 6.5 hours and with a smile on my face. So I guess maybe I decided to do it to give myself the kick in the butt that I needed to get back on track.

I'm determined that I'm going to follow my training program for this one and I'm looking forward to having all that commitment and training pay off in May.

Now back to my book...

1 comment:

aboutagirl said...

sounds like a perfect plan!!