Monday, March 8, 2010

Chilly Half Marathon (Day 57)

Admittedly, my time in this race was not my best (in fact it was my second worst). However, in my defence, I intentionally started out slowly as I think my mistake in some of my past races was starting out too quickly and then having nothing left at the end. So I started really slowly, ran a good race and managed to finish stronger than I ever have before. I was also treating this as more of a training run than anything else and building mileage rather than trying for a great time. It also didn't help that I lost 5 minutes waiting in line for a port-a-potty at one of the aid stations (and ended up giving up in frustration when people were taking too long...)!

So...not my best time, but honestly I think I felt better at the end of this race than any other one I've done.

It was an absolutely perfect day for running...up to around 7 degrees when we finished and beautiful sunshine. Compared to the temperature last year, this was great!

This was my first run over 14km since my kneee issues started and I am happy to report that I had no problems at all. I don't know what worked - I was doing some of the exercises recommended for runners' knee (but haven't done them in a week or so) and I also bought a band that wraps around the knee and holds the kneecap in place and ran with that on. Either way, it felt great!

No comments: