Sunday, September 28, 2008

Waterfront 5K

What a fun race!! I've never before been at a race with that many people (over 14,000) and I couldn't believe the atmosphere - it was incredible!

I showed up early so I could watch the marathoners and half marathoners get started - very cool. The race started at 7:30 and by 7:45 some of the runners had yet to reach the start line!

My race got underway at 8:15. There was a bit of confusion about where the race was supposed to start, which made things a bit difficult. The announcer kept saying the 5K was going to be starting a couple hundred metres south of where the marathon started so I went to the place where the marathon had started and we all started moving. We got past the start line for the marathon, walked for a block or so and then came to a stop. We gradually got moving again but I'm sure I lost a couple of minutes in the confusion, between walking for the first 200 metres and then stopping. From what I could tell, the 5K started in the exact same place as the marathon and if I'd actually started running at that point, I might have been able to come in under the 30 minute mark, which was really my goal for the day.

Oh well - it was still a good run and I'm content with my time. I'm even happier with my gender and category places (it helped that there were a lot of walkers).

My next one is the Zoo Run on October 18th (10K) although I may try and find another one to sign up for in the meantime. Three weeks seems like too long to wait!

No comments: